For Newly Qualified and Training Teachers, Zena Martin presents a one-day course on:
SEND in the Mainstream Classroom
An introduction to including pupils with SEND in the mainstream primary classroom.
Aims of the course
- To clarify understanding of what special educational need is, and what it is not.
- To begin to understand some of the cognitive processes involved in learning, and what they might look like in practice.
- To understand a range of practical teaching and learning strategies that enable all learners to achieve in mainstream lessons.
- To appreciate some of the reasonable adjustments that might be made to enable access to the curriculum.
- To critically evaluate some of the components of an inclusive lesson, and the strategies that might be employed.
Training and Newly Qualified Teachers
The recent Carter review of Initial Teacher Training highlighted how little emphasis was given to the area of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in the diet of many training teachers. Colleagues new to the profession repeatedly talk of how little time was given in their training to this area. This course is based on the premise that excellent provision for pupils with SEND starts from a Quality First Teaching basis.
Zena will examine what is required and expected of teachers in the Code of Practice, what causes some children to struggle with learning in the classroom, particularly those external barriers to learning that can present in the environment. We explore a range of practical teaching and learning strategies that can help teachers reduce and eliminate many of those barriers, and start to appreciate when Quality First Teaching requires some reasonable adjustments. The message given is that inclusive classrooms don’t have to be difficult to create or hard to manage, that if you can facilitate successful progress in pupils with SEND, you are likely to be seeing good progress from the rest of your class, and that high expectations of pupils with SEND are the crucial underpinning of success.
Date and time
Wednesday 26th September.
9am until 3.30pm.
Novotel Hotel, Worsley, Salford M28 2YA …..just off junction 13 (Worsley) of the M60
Just £150 plus vat, including refreshments and a light lunch.
E-mail us at: email@example.com or phone us on 07766 166188 to reserve your place/s